Wednesday 28 December 2011

valentines flowers for men - Paralysed man allowed home for Christmas

valentines  flowers for men
A RETIRED scaffolder left paralysed after a freak accident at home is still thanking his lucky stars this Christmas.

Douglas Newman has described this year as the “worst of my life”, having spent 10 months undergoing gruelling spinal rehabilitation treatment at Middlesbrough’s James Cook Hospital.

But he insists getting home to loved ones in South Tyneside for the festive season was “what kept me going”.

Doctors have told Douglas he will never walk again after he sustained life-threatening injuries in a fall at his home on Jarrow’s Hedworth estate last Valentine’s Day.

And spinal damage means he cannot use his hands to feed himself.

But the 67-year-old, speaking about the accident for the first time, prefers to dwell on the positives as he and his wife, Ann, enjoy yuletide at their home in Fieldway.

Rather than looking back with bitterness, Douglas is determined his life will be as normal as possible next year. A series of adaptions are to be carried out to his home, and he’s looking forward to taking possession of a new electric wheelchair. He’s hoping it will give him the independence to pop along to his local pub, The Boldon Lad, for a pint or two with his mates.

Douglas said: “It’s been a tough year, no doubt about that, the worst of my life, but it’s great to be home at last. Getting back home was what kept me going.

“I’m looking forward to a quiet Christmas with the missus, and I’m sure the adaptions to the house in the new year will make a huge difference to my life.

“They’re putting a lift up to the bedroom, there will be ramps and the doors will be widened. I’ll be able to operate the electric wheelchair with my chin, so that will give me much more independence.

“I can’t remember much about the accident.

“I came off the bannister at the top of the stairs and I couldn’t stop myself.

“I’d been scaffolding for 40-odd years without any problems, climbing all sorts of heights, and then something like that happened in my own home.”

He is full of praise for the support he has received, and continues to receive, from staff at the Teesside hospital’s spinal unit.

His daughters, Lesley and Karen, recently organised a fundraising night at The Boldon Lad, raising almost £1,500 for the unit.

Lesley said: “All the community came together. We couldn’t have asked for more help, and we want to pass our thanks for the overwhelming support.”

Particular thanks go to Maureen Convery and Darren Rose at the pub, Jean Murray, the owner of Murrays Club, and traders throughout the estate who backed it.

Grandad Douglas was also full of praise for his devoted wife of 39 years, adding: “I wasn’t eating in the hospital and had lost two-and-a-half stone in weight.

“I was allowed home for a while and Ann’s home cooking built me up again.

“Ann and the family have been an amazing support to me.”

Ann said: “He’s a fighter who has refused to give up.”

valentines  flowers for men

No comments:

Post a Comment